Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Clutter Is A Thief. It Steals Your Waist.

Part One
Of a Two Part Epiphany

Stay with me…I have to lay out a bit of road with you first, and then you’ll understand my title. 

I’ve had a theory for a long time, but it was kind of foggy.  It had to do with the fact that when my life had clutter, my weight went up and my health suffered.  From many friends, I kept hearing the same thing: “I have too much stuff and too much to do,” and then in the same breath they'd say, “I’ve gained weight and I need to lose it.” I was fascinated with the possibility that clutter and calories could be related, like first cousins or perhaps even siblings.  But I was so busy with my own mental clutter, I didn’t have the time to make the connection.  How’s that for irony?  

I know we think of clutter as ‘too much physical stuff’, but I’ve noticed the ‘mental stuff’; the quieter and more attractive twin.  Regarding physical clutter--I don’t like empty walls or corners.  Ask anyone; I have stuff.  I am also an odd bird.  I am organized, but I like my nest nice and full with my favorite things close to me, protecting me.  To exist this way, my rule is: if it doesn’t make me happy, has no use or I can’t remember who gave it to me, it’s gone.  I have been organizing people for 10 years, and they are relieved when I don’t make them downsize to a house that is a sterile, white clinic with straight lines and no dirt.  I may be one of the few organizers who believe some clutter is okay, as long as you have whittled it down to what you use and love, as long as it has a home within your house, can stay relatively clean and allows you to easily move around in your dwelling.  But we all know that physical clutter can cross the line quickly and start its little thieving ways, hijacking precious time and health. 

However, mental clutter is a different beast entirely…an apparition or a moving swarm of starlings in your head.  It’s the one that I fight every day to keep at bay, but it’s hard to control because it is shifty and has no form.  And this is the one responsible for my weight. 

Let me tell you how I define mental clutter:  projects, thoughts, obligations, errands, events, activities, volunteerism, invitations, meetings, social gatherings and wishes.  They are necessary and important.  If you’re living in a house with others, everyone living with you also has their share and perhaps you’re the point of light through which their things stay straight.  This clutter is not just reserved for parents; I had it when I was working full-time before marriage.  I call it Calendar Clutter and I don’t view it as negative or bad.  Maybe it’s more of a ‘Collection’.  

Sometimes, ‘Collections’ get too big.  Whenever my calendar was overfilled, that was when I was the most unhappy.  And that’s when my weight went up. Why?  Because I simply had no time and was too worn out and crabby during the five times a day I needed to stop and make a good food choice.  Again, I ate to fuel myself, to keep moving from dawn until the late night shows.  I ate in the car, on the run or not at all. 

I began to notice that every interaction, project, invitation, volunteer duty or event had its share of items attached to it, which doubled the size.  It occupied my time and took up space in my brain.  It didn’t matter if it was a two hour event, a weekend or a month-long commitment.  It had baggage, good or bad, that I had to squeeze into an already full day.  And it was waiting to distract me, to lead me to the drive-thru at Joe’s Fried Food Shack.  (I've never been there.  I just thought it looked funny in writing.)

Take a simple birthday invite: there’s the email, the RSVP, the gift buying, logging it in the budget (I’m a big fan of budgets), finding wrapping, possibly an appetizer, getting ready to go, getting there, being there, and while you’re there, it will spark an invitation to something else, or a request of you, or an idea, etc.  Something as simple as a birthday party.  Imagine how a project, or a request or a volunteering stint has an impact on your day.  And on your health and eating and weight. 

All of this is part of life.  But it can’t be ALL of your life. 

Of all this calendar clutter, there is one area which is constant and where I have to hold my ground or prioritize constantly, so that I can fit in the important ones.  It is the topic of Volunteerism, Obligations and Requests.  That is my Part Two tomorrow.  I caution you:  I am writing it in a month when I seem to be crawling on bloody knuckles to the finish line, and so my tone is edgy.  But also, it is pure.  I am experiencing very real almost-burnout at this moment, so maybe that is the BEST time to write about it. 

I leave you with the good news that I’ve found something which has finally started working for me.   Maybe you'll like it too.  Did you notice I used the word “almost” burnout?  I put the brakes on before I hit the Absolute Burnout Zone.  And interestingly, I’ve dropped five pounds as of today.  Gosh, I’d love to think I’m on to something. 

Tomorrow. Part Two: "Dare to Say No.  On Your Terms."

2 comments:

  1. Sheri, so well expressed, And utterly true. I am up to my eyeballs just now in stuff that's good and some that's not so good, and ALL of it brings with it its own stress and clutter. Can't wait to read Part Two. (when you find time to write it!)

    ReplyDelete

Seriously. Tell me all about it.