Saturday, April 7, 2012

Other Uses For Your Chin-Up Bar


I turn 50 next year, on Easter Sunday.  I love the symbolism of it all…rebirth, a new life, a second chance.  I’m also carrying an extra 50 pounds from life choices and having two kids.  I can no longer say “I’m carrying baby weight,” because she’s almost eight now. I am not ashamed to say I enjoy the occasional apple fritter, because when the perfect one comes along, it needs to come home.  My husband is a great cook and I am not.  I love the smell of food, the sound of dishes and the gathering of friends.  Yes, I am known to forget to eat when I write for hours, and then can devour half of a baguette like a wood chipper.  When my son accidentally rolled his car a few months ago after he got his license, I was known to reach for a few slices of whatever was on the counter.  Boredom and stress are my triggers.

Prior to that, I never had a weight problem, ever, until I turned 32.  I am actually okay with my dress size and I don’t mind the actual pounds.  What does bother me, is that I can’t paint my toes because I have a fanny pack which has spun around to my front, and it makes it hard to bend.  I also miss wearing my wedding ring.  My fingers used to be long, making my hands my best feature.  Also, I take blood pressure and cholesterol meds…my heredity is partly to blame, but my choices aren’t helping.   I hate taking pills and want to eventually stop.  I love my doctor and I just want to show some good numbers to him at my next physical because he’s an authority figure and I need to make him proud.  And I just want to be able to cross my legs at the movies.

But the biggest problems with this weight, are my eyes.  My son looked at ‘before’ and ‘after’ pictures, and he noticed the difference in my eyes.  He was right.  My eyes look so much better when I care.  

I won’t reveal my ‘before’ photo and weight, until I make some progress.   I’d like to greet my 50th birthday with my best self.  I want to walk up to it, face it and say, “How YOU doin’?” 

Will I peel off 50 lbs?  I don’t know.  We all know how to lose weight, but why do we fail?  For me, it’s motivation.  I think I represent that average Joe who just doesn’t have the time or energy to make it the #1 priority, with the intensity and focus of all those super bloggers who work really hard to keep it high on their radar.  I can put it #1 on my list some days, and try to work it into my week, but I fully acknowledge there are so many daily distractions that exist to derail me.   So, since I am motivated by shame, I will try it out loud, in front of the world.  There are sure to be ridiculous, poignant and revealing moments that I will stumble upon, and I am anxious to write about them all. 

Welcome to my experiment.  Can a busy person stay focused and actually succeed within the confines of a parent-spouse-friend-daughter-volunteer-worker lifestyle? Where weight loss is one of seven children and not your number one child?  Come with me, and if you are anything like me, you’ll know I’m doing it out of morbid curiosity. 

Let’s see what unfolds.


17 comments:

  1. This is great. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited abou the blog! At long last we can read your witty, intelligent posts everyday. I can't wait to go through this journey with you. Hoping I'll loose a few pounds right along with you. Let's get going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheri,
    i am so happy that you are sharing your wit with the world, as I firmly believe we all need our funny bones tickled!

    I am thinking that your 50 by 50 plan could inspire to do 50 of something before I turn 50 next July (wasn't 1963 a good year?) but maybe I'll just THINK about 50 things..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheri, just wanted to publicly say you have 100% of my support as I know you can do it. I have complete faith in my wife of 25 years. Since I cook most of your meals, they will be healthy, delicious and in the correct portions. Plus, we can work on your exercise program as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, this is so great! I'm your number one fan! Monica E

      Delete
  5. A busy person can stay focused and loose the weight, without a lot of work. Start small, replace the snacks with vegetables, carrots and snap peas, celery with peanut butter. Exercise doesn't have to be daily, 3x/wk for 20 minutes to start. Walk the block in your neighborhood a few times a day. Good luck and great to see another blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool. "Thank you very much, I'll be here all week." I love it! Welcome to the world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do it. I need to do the same. I don't know why I can't make myself a priority but whenever PTA/school/kids/whomever needs something I jump up and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your story sounds so much like my own....right down to the apple fritters and toe nails, stress and boredom, and so much more. Your words hit home with me, Sheri. I've lost the same 45 pounds 3 times only to find them back again. I'm with you on this journey to your 50th.

    Thank you for sharing your life. You are an inspiration.

    Many Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone who has commented so far...I'm touched to have even ONE comment right now. I knew I would be motivated by knowing I had a reader on the sidelines to keep me on the right path, but I'm so pleased to hear you say you are inspired as well. I didn't expect this additional gift. With all this good energy going back and forth, it's a win/win/win. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sheri your are such an amazing woman and writer. You are also the last one to probably know how just amazing you are. Their are those of us who will laugh with you on your journey but we will silently be on that same journey. Hope you do great and know you are loved Lots by all!! KIM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheri - finally the world gets to read your funny writing. I have so enjoyed your facebook and am now looking forward to your blog and following your journey. We are all in this with you. Devon F

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait! One? Just one??? I was ready to dive in with a cup of coffee, some kind of guilt inducing num num & dig right in to Sheri's awesome, inspirational weightloss blog. One? Your writing is like those soon-to-be nameless/unmentionable (on here) chips. I can't devour just one!! Happythankyoumoreplease! xo, katie mc

    ReplyDelete
  13. So excited Sheri! I love your outlook on life: generous and funny, with the right amount of pathos! Thanks for including us in the journey! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sheri,
    I loved the blog - your humor will always make me smile, I look forward to more of your insights. I will now savor a rice cake in your honor. -Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sheri - I can relate to yor story but you have the guts and wits to put it out there! BRAVO! Here is my story - I am turning 50 next year! I have 50 lbs to lose too. Looking forward to walking with you, reading your funny, funny moments and being inspired by them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sheri - I am so glad that you are sharing your writing with us - the "I have a fanny pack that has spun around to the front making it hard to bend" totally cracked me up!! I suffer from the same affliction yet wasn't able to describe it quite so descriptively!! I am looking forward to following along with your adventures and maybe we can donate our "fanny packs" to Goodwill by the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete

Seriously. Tell me all about it.